Makes 16 fishcakes
300g Fish4Ever canned sustainably-fished wild Pacific Red Salmon
650g Dutch Cream Potatoes
1.5 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons capers from a jar, rinsed of brine/salt
1 handful parsley, finely chopped
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
Serving suggestion: garlic aioli and crisp lettuce leaves.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and put them in a pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil on a stove. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until cooked through. Add the peas in the final minute of cooking, then drain and mash. Alternatively, you can steam the peas over the potatoes and leave the peas whole.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, drain the salmon very well and add it to a large mixing bowl, mashing the salmon with a fork. Whisk in the eggs and add the capers, parsley and lemon, plus a little sprinkle of sea salt. Add the mashed potatoes/peas to the salmon mix and stir well to combine.
4. Using slightly moist hands, shape the salmon patties, forming them tightly. Place on a plate and, if you have time, allow them to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. This just helps them stay formed a little better. If the mixture is very moist you can add a little flour and stir well.
5. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for a minute (ish) on each side until golden, then using a spatula place them on the baking tray. Turn down the heat if they’re getting too brown. When all the patties are seared, place the trays in the oven and cook for 15 (ish) minutes until cooked through.
6. Serve with garlic aioli and crisp lettuce leaves.