Super delicious recipe by Monica Yates Health. She writes:
“This dinner is the ultimate fertility dinner. It will help you balance your hormones, improve fertility, boost your vitamin stores for conception all whilst tasting AMAZING. This dinner is great for you as a woman, and also your boyfriend/husband. Remember that ‘fertility food’ is also for men! The addition of roasted broccolini and pumpkin makes for the best combo – I’m sorry, but pesto and pumpkin is a fricken match made in HEAVENNNNNN. Sardines are high in calcium and vitamin D, both of which have been found to be deficient in women of childbearing age. Calcium and vitamin D are both vital for healthy reproduction. This recipe would also work well with tinned salmon or tuna from Fish 4 Ever (cause it’s wild/sustainably caught and in olive oil not vegetable oil.”
- 2 cans of Fish 4 Ever sardines in lemon and olive oil
- 2 large zucchinis, spiralised
- ¼ Japanese pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of broccolini,
- 1cm of the ends cut off
- 2 bunches of parsley or basil depending on the season
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more depending on your level of fire-breath you enjoy)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pine nuts to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray. Lay out the thin slices of pumpkin and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes. Once starting to golden, add the broccolini and drizzle in olive oil. Return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the broccolini is looking crispy! 2. In a food processor, blend everything for the pesto (including the stalks of the parsley) and season with extra salt and pepper as needed.
3. In a medium frying pan, heat the pan to medium-low heat and cook the canned sardines with 2 dollops of pesto for 5 or so minutes just to warm them up. (Keep this on low heat so you don’t damage the fats in the olive oil).
4. Then add the spiralised zucchini to the pan and stir through the sardines and add another couple of dollops of pesto. Toss through well.
5. Serve the zoodle mixture with the pumpkin and broccolini between two plates. Sprinkle over some extra pine nuts, salt and pepper!